Friday, November 26, 2010

It finally stroke - homesickness

Yesterday we celebrated Thanksgiving by having lunch in a fish restaurant Trofta in Istog. Before that, I woke up to a freeeeezzzzzzzing morning. It was cold. It was humid. It rained outside. I really didn't want to get up, only to stay under the blanket. Having even just the head outside the only warm thing in my house, the blanket, was too much. And then there is an ice-cold bathroom, with an ice-cold toilet seat and even colder bathtub. Kitchen instead- it feels like a huge fridge but it's not, because temperature in fridge should be lower than elsewhere and my whole downstairs is like one big cold beer - at least temperature and humidity match. Which means that if I want to cook something that takes longer than a few minutes I need to wear gloves.

And the worst is that outside it's not even below zero. I'm not sure of inside. This kills me. In Finland they had new records for coldest November weather, up to (or should I say down to) -33 C. Inside it's still pleasant +22 C. Or knowing my father, up to +25 C when he heats the fireplace.

I miss proper insulation. I miss proper heating. I miss big fireplaces that store the heat and keep the house warm the next day. And then it hit - So I started to actually to miss home. I started really missing home. I miss snow. I miss cold but dry weather. I miss skiing. I miss my friends. I miss supermarkets with wide selection of food. I miss easy cooking. I miss Finnish coffee. I miss candy. Christmas songs and decorations that start already in October. I miss driving a car. I miss reading newspapers and magazines. Sauna. PlayStation. Family. Ballet. Movie theaters. Did I mention coffee already?

So when we were going to the restaurant my mood equaled with cloudy and rainy, grey weather. (Oh, forgot to mention, I miss boneless fish dishes, yogurt, cheese, milk, salads, feta-spinach pie etc.) Coming back towards Peja, clouds gave way to sunshine and revealed the mountains that had been covered in snow. I hadn't seen them for a few days because of rainy weather. They were so beautiful, untouched. My miserable mood changed to smile. An easy life - didn't I try to escape that? What's there to complain anyway? A little suffering won't kill anyone. Next time, I need to bring my skis here.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...